Sunday, January 22, 2012

Crockpot Mexican Shredded Chicken

Remember those breakfast burritos I made last week from Skinny Mom's Kitchen???  Well, she also had another recipe that I was just dying to try.  This Mexican shredded chicken just looked so yummy and we eat tacos at our house on a regular basis.  I knew I had to give this one a try.  Not only is this a tasty recipe, but it makes enough to have a meal and also put some away in the freezer!!  I didn't follow the recipe exactly.  I had to use garlic powder instead of the minced dried garlic and I also left out the coriander.  I didn't have the coriander on hand and it's not a spice I normally use.  Next time I make this (and there WILL be a next time),  I will definitely give the coriander a try!    In addition, I didn't have a can of chicken broth on hand, so I used chicken buillon granules to make my own.  This chicken turned out moist and delicious and was great for our chicken soft tacos.  I can't wait to try this for quesadillas and enchiladas!  Hope you give this one a try!! 

 I started by mixing all the ingredients (except the chicken) in a small bowl.

 I sprayed my crockpot with some nonstick cooking spray and then added four large chicken breasts.

 Then I poured the sauce over the chicken.  I cooked on low about 6 hours.

 During the last hour of cooking, I shredded the chicken and returned to soak up that wonderful sauce!

 I even had enough left from our meal to fill two freezer bags.  There are two cups of shredded chicken in each bag.

Our chicken soft tacos were delicious!!!

Crockpot Mexican Shredded Chicken
adapted from:  Skinny Mom's Kitchen
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 cup chicken broth
2 T. dried onion flakes
1/2 t. garlic powder
3 T. chili powder
2 t. cumin
1 1/2 t. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or 3-3 1/2 lbs.)

Mix all ingredients except chicken in small bowl.  Place chicken in crockpot and cover with sauce.  Cook on low for 6 hours.  During the last hour of cooking, remove chicken and shred.  Return to crockpot to allow the chicken to absorb the sauce. 

2 comments:

  1. mmmmmmm! That just looks and sounds SO GOOD! I will be adding this to my menu for next grocery trip FOR SURE! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a feeling this will become a frequently used recipe in my house! I can't wait to try it in an enchilada recipe!!

    ReplyDelete