Sunday, January 15, 2012

Horseshoe Sandwich (Cheese Sauce Recipe)

Tonight we had horseshoe sandwiches for dinner!  I know many of you will wonder what the heck a horseshoe is!!  This sandwich is native to Springfield, IL which is not far from home for me.  Many restaurants within a 50 mile radius of Springfield have this dish on their menu.  Typically, they are served with a hamburger patty, but many of the restaurants are getting creative and adding things like bacon, fried walleye, etc.  The possibilities are endless.  To be honest, I have never eaten one from a restaurant.  My hubby loves them and orders this often when we eat out.  I decided when we first got married that I should learn how to make these at home.  For the most part, it's fairly easy except for the fact that I couldn't get the cheese sauce right.  Well, my friend Sherry (and co-worker at the time) gave me her recipe for cheese sauce and it has never disappointed!  So delicious!!

If you want to learn more about the history of the horseshoe go HERE.

The actual recipe I'm going to share with you is the cheese sauce.  The rest is fairly self-explanatory.  They are not hard to make but it is a lot to prepare.  My advice is to make your cheese sauce first along with preparing the hamburgers.  I just covered the burgers with foil while I prepared the fries and toast.  This extra time will allow the sauce to thicken up while you prepare the rest!  Enjoy!

Note:  I cut this recipe in half for just my hubby and I.  Half of the recipe will serve about three people.  The recipe below will serve about 6.

 Heat milk and butter over medium heat until butter is melted.  Whisk in flour, dry mustard, cayenne pepper, and salt. 

 This is the kind of cheese you will need!

 Add in Old English spread and Worcestershire sauce.

 Continue to cook until all the cheese is melted.  Remove from heat and allow to thicken.

 To assemble your horse shoe, you will start with a piece of toast!

 Add a hamburger patty! 

 Then add some crispy french fries!!  It is really worth trouble to deep fry the french fries!!  Trust me on this!!!


 Pour on that delicious cheese sauce and you're ready to eat!!!

Cheese Sauce

1 stick butter
2 c. milk
4 T. flour
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
2 jars Old English cheese spread
1 T. Worcestershire sauce

Combine butter and milk in saucepan and cook on low until melted.  Whisk in flour, dry mustard, cayenne pepper, and salt.  Continue whisking until the flour is dissolved.  Add in cheese spread and Worcestershire sauce and continue to cook until melted.  Remove from heat and allow to thicken before serving.

Shared on:

Everyday Mom's Meals Church Supper

Melt in Your Mouth Monday Blog Hop

Chef in Training Tuesday Talent Show

Wonka Wednesday Party

15 comments:

  1. Wow Kristi! I love the cheese sauce recipe! Tell your friend I said Thanks! ;)
    -
    Kavi (Edible Entertainment)
    Ongoing Event:(Kid's Delight - Something Sweet)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds fantastic! I will be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments!! Love this cheese sauce!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of these, but that cheese sauce is worth it alone! Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Have a blessed week,and see you again next Sunday.

    Everyday Mom's Meals

    ReplyDelete
  5. making this tonight but I don't have cayenne so I'll see what I can sub in!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a restaurant in the south suburbs of Chicago! Some great people
    From Sprinfield stopped by to eat at my place, we got to talking and they told me about the Horseshoe! I will be making a trial version! Thanks for the recipe! I also heard about a white sauce at a place there that is famous for making them, any ideas on a recipe
    For that sauce? Thanks! Elena

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, D'Arcy's Pint in Springfield makes a white sauce. They use it for their nachos as well and it's really good. As far as I know, it's white cheddar but I'm not positive. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D'Arcy's makes the best horseshoe! I have been trying to find this receipe, so thank you.I live in Houston and have yet to find a restaurant who knows how to make one!

      Delete
  8. A horeshoe is twice the amount, what you are showing in the picture is a ponyshoe. Just thought you may want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never been there, but have tried a ton of cheese sauce recipes. This is good. actually beats anything I have tried. I did it in a double boiler so it wouldn't burn and I did use homemade Velveeta which yes, it does have real cheese,(ppl are so freaky about it, i mean, sharp cheddar cheese, milk powder and a little un flavored gelitan. Cause iam an hour from a store, but next time i will pick up the English cheddar and try. Thanks for a great cheese sauce

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very good! Thank you for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What is 4.T? Tablespoon or teaspoon?

    ReplyDelete
  12. T. stands for Tablespoon. Little t. stands for teaspoon.😊

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have used this recipe for us at home. My husband and I both love a good cheese sauce and this is fantastic! Thank you for recipe.

    ReplyDelete