Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Oven Fried Zucchini

A friend of ours brought us a zucchini yesterday.  I usually make my zucchini casserole when someone brings me a zucchini from their garden.  That afternoon, though, I happened to see someone shared a recipe for Zucchini Parmesan Crisps on Facebook and I knew I had to try them.  I tweaked the recipe a bit and changed the name because it just didn't fit.  Also, mine didn't turn out like the picture on Facebook.  These were so good though!  This reminded me of fried zucchini but on the healthier side.  These were so very easy to make and much healthier than the usual fried zucchini!  I might just have to grow my own zucchini next summer!  Hope you give this one a try!


I started by spraying my pan with some EVOO.  See that pump in the above picture??  You can get one at your favorite kitchen store or probably even at your local grocery store.  You simply fill it with your EVOO and then give it a few pumps and your ready to go.  I use it all the time.  You could also use a store bought spray as well. 

In a small bowl, I mixed the crumbs, parmesan, salt and pepper.  Slice the zucchini in 1/4 inch slices.  Spray each slice (both sides) with EVOO and then coat with the crumb mixture.  Panko crumbs don't always stick well so you will have to pat the breading down a bit.  Place slices of zucchini on a prepared cookie sheet.  Sprinkle any remaining crumbs over the zucchini to coat well.  Then give the tops a final spritz of EVOO spray to make the breading a bit crispier!   Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.






 
Oven Fried Zucchini
 
olive oil spray ( I have a pump that I add my own EVOO to, but you can buy prepared olive oil spray)
1/2 c. Panko bread crumbs
1/4 c. shredded Parmesan
1 lb. zucchini slices (1 large zucchini or 2 mediums)
salt and pepper (to taste)
 
Prepare a large cookie sheet with cooking spray.  In a small bowl, mix the crumbs, parmesan, salt and pepper.  Slice the zucchini in 1/4 inch slices.  Spray each slice (both sides) with EVOO and then coat with the crumb mixture.  Panko crumbs don't always stick well so you will have to pat the breading down a bit.  Place slices of zucchini on cookie sheet.  Sprinkle any remaining crumbs over the zucchini to coat well.  Then give the tops a final spritz of EVOO spray to make the breading a bit crispier!   Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment